SACO RIVER COMMUNITY TELEVISION
REGIONAL PUBLIC ACCESS TELEVISION CENTER START-UP PLAN
- To provide the citizens of the 6 towns on the Saco River Cable System with the training and equipment necessary to produce non-commercial, non-profit, community television programming to be shown on the regional public and governmental access channels. Such training and equipment will be provided to any resident of the participating towns on a non-discriminatory basis without regard for their various political, social, economic, religious, or other views or beliefs.
- To provide the opportunity and technical means for individuals, institutions and organizations to learn and expand their horizons and to provide a flourishing marketplace for an exchange of ideas in the community.
- To foster innovative uses of the access channels in the public interest with particular concern for those whose interests are not commercially attractive to the conventional media.
- These channels are provided to all cable television subscribers according to the terms and conditions of the cable TV franchise agreement with the cable operator. Program content shall be the sole responsibility of the producer and must comply with the guidelines set forth the Saco River Community Television Operating Policies and Procedures Manual.
Town(s) Start-up Action List:
- Enact or modify Cable TV ordinance(s) to include provisions to contract with a non-profit, community-based Public Access Corporation via normal budgeting process.
- Continue to appoint a representative to the Saco River Cable Committee as described below.
- Appoint a representative to the Public Access Corporation Board of Directors as described below.
Saco River Cable Committee Start-up Activities and Ongoing Functions:
- Appointments: This committee consists of up to 6 members, one from each of the participating towns. Each participating town annually appoints one member to this committee. Non-participating towns (if any) may appoint a non-voting representative to this committee. In addition to their present duties as described in the by-laws of the committee, the members are responsible for creating the Saco River Community Television Access Corporation and performing the start-up and ongoing functions as listed below:
- Create Articles of Incorporation - 501 ( C ) 3
- Assist with the design of studio space and equipment requirements
- Develop a current and projected budget and define funding sources
- Assist with start up of operations and the creation of the Access Corporation.
- Insure that the Cable operator is in compliance with all provisions of the Cable Franchise Agreement. Provide recommendations and information to the Town Manager, Selectmen and/or Town Council regarding compliance issues regarding the Cable Television Franchise Agreement.
- Review and audit reports submitted to the town by the cable operator as required by the Cable Television Franchise Agreement and any other correspondence as may be submitted to the town concerning the operation of the cable system so as to insure that the necessary reports are completed and fulfilled pursuant to the terms of the Cable Television Franchise agreement or the Towns CATV Ordinance.
- Work with the public and the media to assure that all records, rules and charges pertinent to the cable system are made available for inspection during town business hours upon reasonable notice.
- Coordinate and resolve customer complaint issues from the public with the cable operator.
- Make recommendations to the cable operator concerning citizens requests or surveys for specific channel programming.
- To create and monitor compliance with the terms and conditions of a contract between each town and the SRC-TV Access Corporation.
- The board shall have the authority to conduct public hearings in the performance of its duties and to undertake other such duties as the Selectmen and/or Town Council may assign from time to time.
(TOWN) CATV REGULATORY BOARD or CABLE COMMITTEE
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Members are appointed by the Selectmen or Town Council and perform the duties that are assigned to them by the individual towns. A member of this board may be appointed as the towns representative to the Saco River Cable Committee.
Back to Cable Access Index
Please note that www.Limington.org is not the official website of the Government of the Town of Limington.