ARTICLE XI -- AMENDMENTS
- A proposal for amendment to this Ordinance shall be initiated by:
- The Planning Board, by majority vote of the Board;
- The Municipal Officers, through a request to the Planning Board; or
- Written petition of a number of voters equal to or greater than 10% of the number of votes cast in Limington at the most recent gubernatorial election.
- Any proposal for an amendment other than one initiated by the Planning Board shall be made to the Planning Board in writing, stating the specific changes requested.
- Within 30 days of receiving (pursuant to Section 11.1 (B) or (C) above), or initiating (pursuant to Section 11.1(A)), a proposed amendment, the Planning Board shall hold a public hearing on the proposed amendment. Notice of the public hearing shall be published in a newspaper with general circulation in Limington at least seven (7) days before the hearing. Following the public hearing, any properly initiated amendment shall be placed on a referendum ballot for vote at the next annual meeting, or at such earlier time as may be permitted by law. The Planning Board may make a written recommendation regarding passage to the Municipal Officers and to the Legislative Body prior to any action by the Legislative Body.
- Any amendment to this Ordinance shall be adopted by the legislative body by referendum ballot.
ARTICLE XII -- VIOLATIONS AND PENALTIES
- A violation of this Ordinance shall be deemed to exist when any person or entity engages in any construction activity directly related to the erection, creation, or placement of a dwelling unit upon any land within the Town of Limington without having first obtained a Residential Growth Permit from the CEO. If a dwelling unit has been erected, created, or placed without a Growth Permit, it shall also be deemed a violation for any person or entity to sell, lease, rent, or convey such dwelling unit until such a permit has been duly issued.
- It shall be the duty of the CEO to enforce the provisions of this Ordinance. If the CEO shall find that any provision of this Ordinance is being violated, he shall notify, in writing, the person responsible for such violations, indicating the nature of the violations and ordering the action necessary to correct it. He shall order the removal of illegal buildings, structures, additions or work being done, or shall take any other action authorized by this Ordinance to insure compliance with , or to prevent violation of, its provisions.
- When any violation of any provision of this Ordinance shall be found to exist, the Municipal Officers, upon notice from the CEO, are hereby directed to institute any and all actions and proceedings, either legal or equitable, including seeking injunctions and the imposition of fines, that may be appropriate or necessary to enforce the provisions of this Ordinance in the name of the Town of Limington. The Municipal Officers, or their authorized agents, are hereby authorized to enter into administrative consent agreements for the purpose of eliminating violations of this Ordinance and recovering fines without court action. Such agreements shall not allow an illegal structure or use to continue unless the removal of the structure or use will result in a threat or hazard to public health and safety or will result in substantial environmental damage.
- Any person being the owner, contractor or having control or use of any structure or premises who violates any of the provisions of this Ordinance shall upon conviction be fined in accordance with provisions of 30-A M.R.S.A. §4452. Each day such a violation is permitted to exist after notification shall constitute a separate offense. Fines shall be payable to the Town of Limington.
Return to top of page
Return to Index of Town Regulations
Please note that
is not the official website of the Government of the Town of Limington.
For legal reference, please obtain a copy of the ordinance from the town office.